Thursday, July 8, 2010

blogs, bubbl.us, delicious, powerpoint, google maps

O.k. so now that I am starting to get the hang of this blogging business, I am going to attempt to discuss my thoughts on the tools that I have been exploring.

Firstly blogs- I can see enormous value in the use of blogs in an educational context, both for the learners and for the teachers. This tool can be used to record and share information and allows a teacher to see exactly where the learner is at, how they are progressing and their level of application and understanding. Teachers can also use this tool to share ideas and network and as a space to record information in a practical, user friendly way.

The bubbl.us concept/mind map tool could be a great resource in any year level and across all KLA's. It can be easily rearranged, restructured and added to as thoughts and ideas emerge and change.

The online book marker tool 'delicious' is like nothing I have ever experienced. I feel this tool would be invaluable for middle primary levels and higher, allowing them to easily record websites and relevant information at the click of a button. This tool would also be very useful for educators when planning and could potentially save many hours of frustrating searching.

Powerpoint was another area discussed this week, and whilst I have used this tool before, I had never experienced it being used interactively with the drag and drop function. Again, a very useful tool, however I feel that we must be careful not to replace important concrete materials with too many elearning tools, particularly where kinaesthetic learners are concerned.

Finally Google maps. I have used this tool before but have never seen the real life application. I feel that this tool would be both exciting and engaging for all learners as it enables them to view and monitor real situations. I see much value for this tool for SOSE lessons, but, with a bit of imagination, it could be used across all KLA's.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nina - some immigrant- you seem to have got the hang of The Blog!I agree with a lot of your comments- but wonder if using a computer would be kinaesthetic??? What do you think - not the same as manipulating clay or, MABs, but I wonder if the kinaesthetic among us would care to comment (and then SIT STILL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Karen, not too sure on the computer being kinaesthetic...sure doesn't do it for me!! I do enjoy the interactive perspective though. I see the value of ICT's but hope, for learners like me, that real hands on learning is never replaced, rather that it is incorporated with digital technologies. I remember one of the best lessons I ever had at school involved pulling apart an outboard motor, seeing how the parts moved and why they worked. These days, a lesson similar to this is surely possible using ICT's alone but I feel that ICT's on their own are not able to replace the hands-on aspect.

    ReplyDelete